The race committee has two sanctions for infractions of rules:
- Disqualification – runner will not appear as an official finisher in the race results.
- Future entry denied – application for runner for a future Knee Knacker Race will be returned.
Infractions resulting in disqualifications are:
- Shortcutting of the course.
- Missing a checkpoint.
- Getting in a moving vehicle.
- Failing to remain at a checkpoint for medical evaluation on request of checkpoint personnel.
- Running with a dog, pole, or any other aids.
- Failing to withdraw on request of race officials.
- Impeding another runner.
Infractions resulting in denial of future entry are:
- Running as a bandit or pacing and/or crewing for a bandit runner.
- Having crews drive cars to areas designated as off limits.
- Failing to withdraw from the race for missed cutoff times.
- Failing to respect private property.
- Mistreating aid station personnel, other volunteers or other runners.
- For safety and liability reasons, any attempt at doing a “Knee Knacker double” during race weekend is not allowed. This means running from Deep Cove to Horseshoe Bay starting the night before race morning and then expecting to run as an official participant of the race. If this is attempted, you will be asked to surrender your race number. If you still decide to run during the race, you will be considered a bandit (see first point in this section).
The race committee reserves the right to impose sanctions for behaviour not specifically mentioned here.