The race is limited to two hundred and five (205) runners, so 270 will be selected in the race lottery from all registered entries. Allowing for an attrition rate of approximately 24% prior to race day (consistent with past race experience), this will result in 205 runners on race day.
There are very few people who qualify for special consideration, and their entries must still be received by the entry deadline. These are:
- An original 8 race founder (1989)
- Top overall male & female in all previous KKNSTRs (1989–2013)
- Runners who are going for their 10th or 20th KKNSTR finish
- Previous KKNSTR race directors (1989–2013)
- Active Knee Knacker committee members who have served 3 consecutive years on the committee
- Volunteers/runners who have contributed significantly to the race or the sport
- Major sponsor (1 spot)
- Runners who applied for the lottery the past 2 consecutive years (2012 & 2013), and were not selected in both of those years. This has been occasionally referred to as the “Two-Time Loser” rule, but we prefer to call it the “Third-Time winner” rule
The lottery will be held on March 3rd, 2014 and the results will be released in a live event via our Facebook group. Afterwards, the complete official lottery results will be posted.