Thank you Knee Knackerers for doing a mock start for one of the Start Line photographers. Global Coast Photography photos are here.
Check out the Trail Maintenance Photos. A new section of the Baden Powell trail was created (east of Hyannis Drive). Andrew’s trail maintenance report will be posted soon.
Knee Knacker Training Run June 24, 2012
I know, I know….it’s been long overdue.
Here we are at the final stages of training for the 2012 Knee Knacker, & I’m finally managing to get down to typing out a “weekly” run report. Apologies to anyone who’s been expecting to get their regular fix of trail lore.
From the beginning of May, our group has grown from about 35 participants up to 80+. As the runs get longer or the conditions get worse, we seem to pick up more people. Safety in numbers, or misery loves company…whatever the case may be, we’ve got a great group of varying ability, pace, background, & experience. Continue reading
If you’re running tomorrow’s (June 24) training run, here are two trail condition reports you may want to read.
From Scott, unfiltered and unedited: “we made it to lynn valley in about 6 hours last night. We took our time last portion from grouse to my place because of darkness. (Isn’t it suppose to be the longest days of the year?). Rained off and on pretty much the entire way. Trail good up to the lookout at Black. Didn’t run into snow until we left the lookout. Continue reading
With less than one month to go before the race is underway, we’re busy filling the last of the volunteer spots for the course. All of the aid station crew and timer positions are full, but there are still a few marshall positions that are open. If you can assist with one or more of these positions, please fill out the online request form. This is a great way for friends and family of the runners to experience the course first-hand and to help make our event a success!
- Hollyburn Mountain Ranger Station (7:30am to 10:00am), one person
- British Properties/Craigmohr (8:00am to 11:00am), one person
- Skyline Shortcut (8:30am to 12:00pm), one person
- LSCR Varley Trail (11:00am to 1:30pm), two people
- Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge (9:30am to 2:00pm), one person
- Indian River Road (1:00pm to 4:30pm), one person
- Photograph and certificate sorter (at banquet, starting at 4:00pm), 2–3 people
- Transport crew with pick-up truck or SUV (various times during day), one person
- Transport crew assistant — no vehicle needed (various times during day), one person
And don’t forget, our post-race banquet needs more volunteers for the set-up and for during the banquet!
Don’t worry, you’re not expected to cook for 350 guests and Gordon Ramsay won’t be patrolling the aisles critiquing you! The Knee Knacker banquet finishes our race for the year, and we need a few more volunteers to help make it an amazing event for all our guests. There are two banquet shifts: 11 a.m. — 3 p.m. for Set-up and 5 — 10 p.m. for Banquet serving and clean-up. We need 5–6 people for Set-up and 6–8 people for the Banquet shift. You can sign up using the volunteer form. On the form, indicate which shift you’d like to work (maybe both!).
We still need more volunteers to help fix a section of the Baden Powell Trail on June 23. There will be coffee and treats from Delany’s. Better yet, you’ll get a sense of accomplishment for a few hours effort. Combine that with the nice tingly feeling that comes from knowing you helped to improve the trail and you’ve got major karma points towards race day! Please RSVP by June 21 to Andrew (Trail Day Coordinator) via the Contact form. For all the details, see the Trail Day post.
Check out June 3 Training Run photos from:
- Intersection of BCMC and Baden Powell trails - Photos by Andrew Wong
- Intersection of Skyline and Baden Powell trails - Photos by Karen Chow
- Seymour Grind to Hyannis Road - Photos by Karen Chow